Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Awakening to the Power Within by Mary Glen Scot

The Testimony of Mary Glen Scot*...
Wednesday of last week I went to Mass and I prayed to the Lord: "I don't know why I have never thought about this before Lord, but I am going to surrender the entire book to you. I have done all of the footwork I possibly can to get it started, and it is doing quite well, but I can't think of anything else to do, and I am surrendering it entirely up to you Lord. You have always been in charge of it anyway."

The Talent of Mary Glen Scot...
is shared with the world in her first book, Awakening to the Power Within: Breaking Free From a Destructive Relationship. Mary Glen Scot devoted forty years of her life and marriage to the futile goal of “curing” her alcoholic husband. Through her own journey of self-discovery, she now offers practical methods that will help you apply the principles of the Twelve-Step Program to your own daily challenges. Here is an excerpt from Chapter 18: Developing a Relationship with a Higher Power
I believe there’s a special Spirit, generally understood as being a Higher Power in Twelve-Step philosophy, which moves through our meetings and one another. To my mind, a feeling of spiritual healing that we can see, hear, and feel in our groups when we are gathered together. That Spirit turned my life around in a new direction, and a new way of thinking and behaving. I formed a spiritual connection with my religious God that brought me a great sense of peace and acceptance.

When I am able to separate my spiritual thinking from the doctrines and dogma of my religious faith, the spirituality of the program and my religion fit like “hand in glove.” Being in the spiritual twilight of my journey on this earth, I need both my church and my great Twelve-Step fellowship. A lot of the lessons I learned as a child in Sunday school are the same basic philosophies as those in the program, particularly the principles that those are based on, “I have a Power Greater Than Myself,” and “Love one another.”

I was always searching for the answers to the big mystery of life when I was young, curious about my Spirit’s origin. I wonder, now, was it by asking God to show me His face—proof that he really existed—that I invited Him into my life? Did that lead to the beginning of my journey toward my spirituality as it is today? I think, possibly, my curiosity and hunger for something more inspired me to keep looking for fresh insights about God. However, I believe now that each one of us in a Twelve-Step Program has a spiritual experience leading us to find a Power Greater in a different, unique manner; and what works for me may not work for you.
© 2005 Mary Glen Scot, Las Vegas, NV. Book published by iuniverse. Click for more details.
* Note: The three names make up the author's first name. She is orginally from Scotland. She doesn't use her last name (publically) as is the norm in 12-step anonymous program culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home