Friday, February 10, 2006

Birth of the Mural by Kay Penn Presson

Mural by Kay in Bardwell, Kentucky
Since I was a child, living in the housing projects of Paducah, I have been drawing and writing. I found it to be not only a good way to keep out of trouble, but also to occupy my time.

From my early childhood, I've always wanted to draw on walls, however, my Mama did not appreciate my "wall art." She did encourage me to draw on appropriate material.

As Civil War buffs, my roommate and I visited the northern battlefields, such as Gettysburg, August, 2001. From there, we traveled to Washington, D.C., where we were August 11...one month before the tragedy of 9/11.

As with everyone, we were both saddened and angered by the cowardly attack of 9/11. And, being of the generation when Pres. Kennedy was assassinated, I remember where I was when both tragedies occurred.

The thought of painting a mural on the side of my building here in Bardwell never entered my mind. However, one morning in August, 2002, about 2, I had a dream that I had painted the mural shown in the photo. The dream was so real I got up, went outside and looked...there was nothing...the red brick wall was blank. However, I believe the dream was sent from God and as an artist, I could use my talent to paint the mural as depicted in the dream.

I adapted the original photo of the firemen raising the flag...behind the firemen, I painted an outline of the United States, with red dots indicating Pennsylvania, New York City, and Washington, D.C....where the terrorists struck. I did not use a ladder...merely duct-taped a paint brush on the end of tent poles and painted the upper areas.

In the Bronx section of New York City is Throg's Neck Bridge, which I hope someday to visit, because it was named after one of my ancestors, John Throckmorton, who settled in that area in 1643.

This mural was painted to honor our American spirit and to encourage. It was a dream fulfilled, and I finally "drew on a wall," and if my Mama were alive, I know she would not object.

© 2006 Kay Penn Presson, Bardwell, Kentucky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home